20 Before 40
Oh, I am going there.
I used to see all these 30 before 30 lists on peoples’ blogs and I kind of wanted to write one, but since I was 33 by the time I had a blog, I thought I’d missed a window. But now that I’m a year from 40, let’s see if I can inspire myself to get some interesting stuff done. The original title was obviously 40 before 40, but jeez, that’s a lot of stuff to cram in one year.
I’m trying to keep things realistic by setting really attainable goals, not stuff like “build an orphanage in South Africa” or “knit an afghan with my two front teeth”. It’s only a year– stop pressuring me!
Anyway, I guess I’ll check in next June to see how I did on these. Here’s hoping I don’t disappoint my future self. I am almost 40, you know– I’m pretty set in my ways!
I am posting this picture so you’ll remember who’s writing this thing. But really, I’m posting this picture because my hair looks really good.
-Take two continuing education classes/ seminars/ workshops
- Read at least four classic psychology texts
- Take at least two 20-minute breaks during workday to walk around neighborhood. (Put a re-emphasis on my own self-care!)
- Host someone for a meal and go out for a walking date with a friend at least 1x per month
- Call/ text/ write/ email my best friends more frequently (1-2 times week)
- Call niece and grandparents at least 1x/ month
- Try a new place with Vinny at least 1x/ every two weeks.
- Write thank you notes promptly.
I want to be a friend to others the way others have been a friend to me (like my friend Lizzy–who I’ve known for over 30 years!–who just sent me this peace lily as a housewarming present).
- Set new mutually agreed upon savings goal with Vin
- Have a significant amount saved in our “if shit happens” fund for emergency house needs
- Buy fewer things of better quality.
-Plan a really BIG trip for my 40th (I’m thinking Greece/ Italy)
- Take a day trip out of NYC at least 1x/ every 12 weeks
- Take full advantage of living in the city and go to the following places within the year: Central Park (every season), Coney Island, Governor’s Island, the Highline, Brooklyn Bridge and park, Jones Beach, The Plaza for tea, at least one extravagant dinner, at least one Broadway show
- Keep home clean and uncluttered without spending every weekend cleaning and de-cluttering. (hints on how to do this gladly accepted)
- Keep plants alive. Say prayers if necessary.
-Decrease waste. Reduce use of toxic chemicals.
Ever since getting windows, I’ve been obsessed with learning how to take care of houseplants. I’ve killed a few already, but have also brought several back from the dead. Still learning and welcoming tips (Mom says I really do need to talk to them).
- Take a meditation/ mindfulness class. (They have them after work by my office for $5! if anyone wants to join me)
- Find some type of exercise I can get excited about. This is my goal every year.
- Start reading on the subway again instead of fiddling with my phone.
The Biggie/Bonus Goal: Finish my book manuscript (it’s been on hiatus for a few months- back to it!)